This is where German tourism excels: A family friendly walk through vineyards with a lovely gondola to take you up and down the steep parts with a fun boat ride at the end.
What You Will Learn
Step by Step How to do the Rudesheim Ring Tour
People of different mobility levels can get ALL the views and experience the heights of Rüdesheim, the Neiderwald and Assmannshausen.
- After reaching the top of the Rhine gorge via the Rüdesheim cable car, you’ll walk or roll along a flat path with many historical stops marked with placards in German and English. The path makes its way to the Jagdschloss Hotel (hunters palace hotel).
- For people using wheelchairs it’s not advised to take the Assmannshausen chairlift, but return the same way back and take the gondola back to Rüdesheim.
- If you want to continue to the next village of Assmannshausen that is known for it’s red wine, there is a chair lift down to the village but it is not wheelchair accessible.
- It descends into the much less busy village of Assmannshausen or you can simply walk 20-30 min downhill, going past an enclosure with very cute deer. There is a vending machine to purchase feed pellets that you can try to hand feed the deer through the fence.
- From the riverside in Assmannshausen you can either take the train back to Rüdesheim or the KD boat on the river.
Buy your tickets here.
Rudesheim Ring Tour Details
- Location: Rudesheim, Germany
- When to Ride: April – October
- Time: 3-4 Hours
- Points of Interest: Wild deer enclosure, castle ruins, wineries, history cave, Neiderwalddenkmal (Germania)
- Only in Rudesheim for a day? This Guided Wine Hike will show you the very best.
|Children 5-15 years
|Groups of 20 people or more
|School classes up to 18 years old
Always check the local site for up to date details.
Rhine River Travel Tips
- Location: Upper Middle Rhine Valley
- When to Go: April – October
- Days: 3-5 days is ideal
- Points of Interest: Wineries, hiking, local restaurants
- Closest Airports: Frankfurt International & Hahn, Cologne-Bonn, Luxemburg
- Best Activity: Hike the Rhine Castles Trail
More Rhine River Travel Gems
The Upper Middle River Valley is truly a hidden tourist destination. I love how you can meander through the vineyards, make conversation with the locals and even stay in a castle hotel!
Rudesheim is cool, but a bit touristic.
For adventure seekers, you should try the Boppard Klettersteig. If you want to ride the Boppard chairlift (sesselbahn) up the small mountain you can, or simply hike.
More Gondolas and Chairlifts in Rhine and Mosel River Valleys
🚠 SUMMER CHAIRLIFTS in Germany
An easy & relaxing Way to experience the German OUTDOORS 🚠
It doesn’t have to be HARD to explore Germany’s mountains and vineyards.
1️⃣ On the Upper Middle Romantic Rhine UNESCO site:
the Rudesheim cable car and Assmannshausen chairlift help you create a gentle loop called the Rudesheim Ring Tour. The Boppard chairlift gets you to the Vierseenblick.
2️⃣ Flying over the Moselle River:
the Scenic Cochem chairlift takes you over vineyards and slate blue craggy mini-mountains.
3️⃣ On the German Weinstrasse:
the gentle Rietburg Chairlift helps you skip the uphill and have unbelieveable views over the Rhine plain and skip the hard part of the Edenkoben Tal hike.
4️⃣ In Bavaria:
the Kranzberg Sessellift gets you high above Mittenwald and allows you to hike the stunning Hoher Kranzberg hike good for family.
Just like an e-bike, a bit of technology can make exploring nature more accessible to everyone.
Thanks for reading my article on the Rudesheim ring tour.
Author profile: Morgan Fielder is a Doctor of Physical Therapy and passionate hiker who believes in exploring the world on foot with good food. Follow her journey as she shares science-based hiking tips and advocates for sustainable tourism.