The La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II hiking shoe provides a solid, supportive footbed with exceptional grip for uneven terrain.
My review is based on mountain hiking with this “trail runner shoe”, so if you’re a runner I’d look for another review.
In my experience, this shoe is ideal for hikers, backpackers, hunters and winter walkers that are willing to pay for an excellent shoes, it’s not cheap! ~
- Great laces, rockplate and supportive mid-foot
- Unbeatable traction – The grip…wow! I feel like a spider going on steep and rocky surfaces.
- Waterproof and breathable protection for your feet for winter and wet conditions.
- I did go up 1 entire size to make room for the widest part of my forefoot.
While this is one my favorite hiking shoes for beginners, continue reading where I’ll share the pros and cons so you can make the decision that’s right for you.
Morgan’s La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Shoe Youtube Review
Crave the Planet is reader-supported. When you click on some links and you purchase, I may receive money at no additional cost to you. – Thanks, Morgan
| TL;DR From Author
For hikers, hunters, backpackers and travelers looking for a premium hiking shoe, you’ll want to try the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Hiking Shoe. Move safely among wonders, with gear as thoughtful as your care of the Outdoors.
Bottom Line: Warm, Waterproof and Comfortable
The La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Hiking Shoe has me hooked. I recently went from a low profile zero drop Altra Lone Peak 7 to this one, and I’m probably not going back.
With its durable construction, secure fit, and waterproof protection, these shoes are sure to keep your feet comfortable and protected on any hiking adventure. Click here to purchase the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II and hit the trails with confidence today!
If you want more ankle support consider a hiking boot instead.
Quick Verdict: La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II GTX Hiking Shoe Review
What we like: Superior traction without picking up rocks. Aggressive 4.5 mm lugs combined with FriXion rubber and Trail Bite heel provide all-terrain traction and maximum grip. Full length Endurance Platform EVA rock guard balances load and shock forces and protects your feet from sharp rocks
- 9mm Heel to toe drop
- 1lb 4.8 oz for pair, wide sizing available
- TPU lacing harness provides a secure, snug and supportive moderately cushioned fit
- Compression-molded EVA midsoles
- Transkinetic heel stabilizer is designed to keep your heel snug for an enhanced fit and increased stability
Note: Not great if you have a high in-step. Slightly narrow forefoot. Overkill for skinny hikers.
Author's TL;DR: This is without a doubt my favorite hiking shoe I've ever owned, especially for muscular or heavier set hikers. Mid Boot style also available.
🧭 Read until the end for my insider travel tips from a physical therapist hiking & travel addict.
You will also like:
🗻 Expert Review of the Best Mountain Walkie Talkies 📡
Read my ➡️ Roundup of the best hiking fanny packs
Are the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Shoes worth it?
Yes. These shoes are designed to be sturdy and durable, without weighing you down. The lace-up closure ensures a secure fit, while the Ethylene Vinyl Acetate and rubber sole provide excellent traction on all types of terrain.
These are are the best hiking shoes I’ve ever owned. However, the shoes do not keep my feet completely dry in damp conditions, despite being advertised as Gore-Tex.
Not what you need? Read my ➡️ Best women’s hiking boots roundup
Pros and Cons
When it comes to the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Gore-Tex Hiking Shoe, there are some clear pros and cons to consider before making your purchase.
Pros: Durable, Ultra sticky Grip, Supportive
One of the biggest pros is its durability. This shoe is built to last, with sturdy materials that can withstand even the toughest hikes. And the shoe is designed to be relatively lightweight, making it a great choice for longer hikes where you don’t want to be weighed down by heavy footwear.
Another pro of the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Gore-Tex Hiking Shoe is its grip. The shoe features a sticky sole that provides excellent traction on a variety of surfaces, including wet and slippery terrain. This makes it a great choice for hikers who like to tackle challenging trails or who frequently encounter wet conditions.
Cons: Cost, Not Fully Waterproof, Slightly Narrow Toe Box
One potential downside of the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Gore-Tex Hiking Shoe is its waterproofing. While the shoe is marketed as being Gore-Tex, your feet will still got wet when hiking in damp conditions. This may be something to consider if you frequently hike in wet or rainy environments.
Another potential con of the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Gore-Tex Hiking Shoe is its lack of support for those with flat feet or who overpronate. While the shoe is not marketed as a stability running shoe, some reviewers have noted that it may not provide enough support for those who need it.
When it comes to hiking shoes, you want to make sure you have a pair that can keep up with you. The La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Gore-Tex Hiking Shoe for Women is an excellent option for those who want a shoe that can handle any terrain. Here are some key features to consider:
1. Closure Type: Lace-Up
The lace-up closure of these shoes ensures a secure fit that won’t slip or loosen during your hike. The laces are easy to adjust to your preferred tightness, so you can customize the fit to your foot.
2. Sole Material: Ethylene Vinyl Acetate, Rubber
The sole of the shoe is made of a combination of Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA) and rubber. This provides excellent traction on any surface, from rocky trails to wet pavement. The EVA also provides cushioning for your feet, making long hikes more comfortable.
3. Care Instructions: Machine Wash
One of the best things about the Ultra Raptors is that they’re easy to clean. Simply toss them in the washing machine and they’ll come out looking like new. This makes it easy to keep your shoes looking and smelling fresh, even after a long hike.
When it comes to purchasing a pair of hiking shoes, you want to make sure you’re getting a product that will last and perform well on the trail. That’s why it’s always a good idea to check out what other customers have to say about a product before making a purchase.
These shoes have received an average rating of 4.4 stars out of 5 on Amazon. Customers have praised the shoe’s perfect fit and sizing, sturdy construction, and comfortable feel. The shoe’s wide toe box also allows for plenty of room to wiggle toes without the foot sliding around.
However, some customers have noted that the shoe’s Gore-Tex material does not keep feet dry in damp areas. While the shoe is great for flat feet and pronators, it may not be as supportive as a stability running shoe.
Conclusion: To Buy or not to Buy?
- I highly recommend this shoe for anyone looking for a quality hiking shoe that can also be used for running.
- This may be my last shoe purchase. Well, maybe not…I am always experimenting with shoes that are comfortable and durable for hiking, but this is my favorite pair of hiking shoes, period.
- The shoe is well-made and sturdy, without being too heavy. The wide toe box provides ample room for your toes to wiggle around, and the soles are sticky and provide great traction on most surfaces.
- While the shoe is marketed as Gore-Tex, some users have reported that their feet still get wet in damp conditions. However, this seems to be a minor issue overall as almost all “waterproof” shoes are like this.
- Comes in leather versions also.
- Comes in wide sizes.
- If you’re looking for a shoe that works well for both hiking and running, the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Gore-Tex Hiking Shoe is definitely worth considering. It’s not as supportive as a stability running shoe, but it works well for those with flat feet or who tend to overpronate.
- The shoe is comfortable right out of the box and doesn’t require much breaking in.
More Buying Guides for Hikers
Frequently Asked Questions
Are La Sportiva hiking shoes waterproof?
Yes, the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II GTX Women’s Hiking Shoe is waterproof thanks to its Gore-Tex lining. This means your feet will stay dry even in wet conditions, making these shoes a great choice for hiking in rainy or muddy environments.
Do La Sportiva trail shoes run small?
Some reviewers have noted that La Sportiva shoes tend to run small, so it’s a good idea to order a half to one size up from your usual size. However, keep in mind that everyone’s feet are different, so it’s best to try on shoes in person if possible.
Is La Sportiva a good brand for hiking?
Yes, La Sportiva is a well-respected brand in the hiking community, known for making high-quality shoes that are comfortable and durable. Many hikers swear by La Sportiva shoes for their performance on the trail.
What are the features of La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II GTX Women’s Hiking Shoe?
- Gore-Tex lining for waterproofing
- EVA and rubber sole for traction and durability
- Lace-up closure for a secure fit
- Machine washable for easy cleaning
- Lightweight design for comfort on long hikes
What are the differences between La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Wide and Leather?
The La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II Wide is designed for people with wider feet, while the Leather version is made with a leather upper for added durability. Other than that, the two shoes are very similar in terms of features and performance.
What are the pros and cons of La Sportiva Ultra Raptor GTX?
- Waterproof Gore-Tex lining keeps feet dry
- Durable construction for long-lasting wear
- Lightweight design for comfort on the trail
- Good traction on various surfaces
- May run small, so it’s important to order the right size
- Some reviewers have noted that the shoes can be stiff and require a break-in period
- Not the most breathable shoes on the market, so they may not be ideal for hot weather hiking
While they may not be the most breathable shoes out there, they offer excellent traction and durability, making them a great investment for serious hikers.
At Crave the Planet, I’m all about honest and relatable reviews of outdoor products. As a physical therapist, hut to hut hiker, downhill skier and mom, I’m constantly trying new gear to make my outdoor experiences more comfy and fun but with science in mind.
I’ll be real with you, I don’t do every outdoor activity. But, who does? I’m just a regular person who loves exploring the planet. Perfectionism is my enemy and I hope to help you ditch that vibe too.
My review process involves testing each product in real-life outdoor situations, but if it’s a really horrible day I’ll probably find a hotel in the valley. I’ll let you know what worked for me and what didn’t, so you can make informed decisions about your gear choices.
I don’t do sponsored reviews or take payment for my reviews. All comments are based on my personal experience. Sometimes I’ll test something and then send it back for a refund. Usually there’s a hefty fee. Bummer. So, if you’re looking for a relatable and honest take on outdoor gear, you’re in the right place.
More Hiking & Outdoor Gear Resources
Here’s more awesome gear to empower your journey. I have written in-depth comparisons of products that make hiking and exploring the Great Outdoors safer and more fun, especially if you’re a beginner (or like me, a little rusty in the knees).
Physical Therapist Curated Gear Guides for Hikers
- 🧎 Make your knees feel better while hiking and walking: Best Knee Braces for Hiking
- 🌳Make the downhills stop hurting and hike with more confidence Best Trekking Poles Review
- ⌚ Never get lost on the trail and navigate the wilderness safely with My Review of the Best GPS Watches for Hiking
- ❄️ Go hiking on uneven terrain safely: The Best Hiking Boots with Ankle Support
- 🥾 Don’t get lost in the backcountry during a big hike: My Review of the BEST PLB – Personal Locator Beacons
My Guides to Bucketlist Hikes in Europe
(That I’ve personally done and loved.)
If you’re an avid hiker, you know that the wrong shoes can really make it miserable. I hope this La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II GTX Hiking Shoe Review helps you feel more empowered to explore or just get your steps in for the day.
Author profile: Morgan Fielder is a Doctor of Physical Therapy and passionate hiker who believes in exploring the world on foot with good food. Follow her journey as she shares science-based hiking tips and advocates for sustainable tourism.