I’ve had my fair share of surprises left by my kids and hubby in backpacks, including some almost fermented plums. So, can you wash a Jansport backpack without ruining it?
The last thing we want to do is ruin the material’s breathability or take off a zipper by a rough tumble in the dryer on a good backpack.
Jansports are designed to be durable and protect against light rain and unpredictable weather.
Yes!!! The aim of this article is to show you the safest and easiest ways to do it without ruining the waterproof layer or damage the pack.
Make sure to read through to the end to discover the most effective cleaning detergent solution for stubborn stains and dirt that also preserves the breathability and waterproofing layer.
What You Will Learn
Can you Wash a Jansport Backpack?
Yes, but in general try not to wash your expensive backpacks regularly. It degrades the weather protection, but sometimes you’ve just got to do some maintenance so here’s the summary on how to wash your backpack:
✅ ❌ ❓
CAN YOU WASH ???
You can absolutely wash your Jansport backpack, but with care.
You'll want to avoid washing it if possible as the pack is covered with a protective weather sealant that will degrade with washing.
Your pack can withstand a lot of debris and water and may not need as much "washing" as you think. Simply dust it off after each hike to avoid having to wash it. The biggest problem will likely be mold from food left in the bag or if you let it sit overwinter in a closed closet.
From least to most damaging ways to wash:
1. Avoid placing on exterior walls or closets where mold will occur
2. Hand spot clean with cloth, old toothbrush
3. Hand wash with soapy water
4. Soak in tub with soapy water
5. Machine wash on gentle cycle
Never place it in the dryer.
Get it to dry completely by hanging it.
🔥🥾 Related Reading: Hiking Advice from a Physical Therapist Hiking Addict:
Cleaning Tips for Your Jansport Backpack
Try to keep your Jansport Backpack in a well ventilated storage area and avoid the back of the closet or along an outer house wall.
Also, try wiping down your pack the day of use with a simple wet cloth to avoid accumulation of dirt that will require it to be washed in future.
You can wash a Jansport backpack if absolutely necessary. Start with spot cleaning it with a wet cloth. If that doesn’t work you can soak it in cold water in the bathtub and scrub it with a toothbrush.
For really stubborn stains, you can finally try to add some mild detergent to the water. For mold utilize a vinegar solution and exposure to natural sunlight.
Finally, if it’s really bad, use a delicate cold cycle in the washing machine at your own risk. Hang dry.
Is it too far gone? Click here 👎🏻
to check Prices on Amazon for a Replacement Pack
Different Methods to Wash a Jansport Backpack
Step by Step Instructions for Hand Washing Your Backpack
Start with Spot Cleaning Jansport Backpacks
- Completely empty your Jansport bag and shake out any debris
- Use a warm wet sponge to get all the bits of dirt and debris out of any pockets or corners
- Use a toothbrush to remove dirt from zippers
- Rinse area with warm sponge
- Hang dry until completely dry indoors or in shade
Not enough? Soak and Scrub
- All of the above steps plus add a drop of detergent like Nikwax on the sponge if needed.
Still not enough?
- Fill a bathtub with warm water and submerge the backpack.
- Use a wet towel or sponge to scrub areas of dirt or stain.
- Completely rinse and hang dry indoors or in shade to air dry.
Machine Washing Your Jansport Backpack
To maintain the integrity of the backpack, the manufacturer advises against using a washing machine. However, if you must, use only the gentle cycle with cool water or lukewarm water and a slow spin cycle using a laundry bag.
Avoid using the dryer and opt for hanging the backpack to dry instead. For added protection during machine wash, place the backpack inside a mesh bag.
Before washing, remove the integrated rain cover and open the zippers to the main compartment.
Cleaning a Moldy Backpack
Plain white vinegar can help you get rid of mold on your Jansport backpack.
- A little bit of dirt on a Jansport backpack is considered a badge of honor.
- However, if left in a closet or near a damp wall, the backpack can grow mold and mildew.
- Vinegar has antifungal and antibacterial properties that make it an effective treatment for many types of mold.
- To use vinegar as a treatment, fill a spray bottle with full-strength vinegar and soak the area of infestation.
- Let the vinegar sit for at least 1 hour and then wipe away the mold with a damp cloth.
- Hang the backpack to dry outdoors in full sunlight if possible.
Can I Put My Jansport Backpack in The Dryer?
Absolutely do not put Jansport bags in a dryer. I repeat, Do NOT put your backpack in the dryer. If parts of your backpack refuse to get dry after a wash, try using a hairdryer on the low cool setting to get the small corners dry.
NikWax Tech Wash is trusted by backpackers and people interested in keeping their packs for decades. It refreshes the backpack fabric and water resistance capacity and breathability to keep you dry and comfortable. It’s a reliable stain remover.
How to Clean Your Backpack [by Brand]
Detailed Guides on How to Clean According to the Manufacturer
|EXACTLY HOW TO CLEAN
|The North Face
|How to Clean a Northface Backpack
|How to Clean a Kanken Backpack
|How To Clean an Osprey Backpack
|How to Clean a Deuter Backpack
|How to Clean a Herschel Backpack
|How to Clean a Nike Backpack
|How to Clean a Canvas Backpack
|How to Clean a Vera Bradley Backpack
|How to Clean a Jack Wolfskin Backpack
|How to Clean a Jansport Backpack
⌚ Explore more with confidence with our top-rated hiking and navigational watch!
If you need a reliable GPS watch for your trip, then my personal recommendation is to choose Garmin Fenix 7X Sapphire Watch, an award winning navigation watch with advanced features like GPS tracking, altimeter and long battery life. Plus with durable and waterproof design, you can take on any weather.Buy a watch HERE
We hope this guide filled with interesting information about the best way to clean a Jansport backpack has given you the proper information to keep your gear in top shape.
Discover gear that elevates your outdoor adventures. As a physical therapist, I’ve curated product comparisons to enhance safety and enjoyment, perfect for beginners or those with weary knees.
Physical Therapist Curated Gear Guides for Hikers & Skiers
- 🧎 Make your knees feel better while hiking and walking: Best Knee Braces for Hiking
- 🌳Make the downhills stop hurting and hike with more confidence Best Trekking Poles Review
- ⌚ Never get lost on the trail and navigate the wilderness safely with My Review of the Best GPS Watches for Hiking
- ❄️ Go hiking on uneven terrain safely: The Best Hiking Boots with Ankle Support
- Don’t get lost in the backcountry with : My Review of the Best 2 Way Radios for the Mountains
My Guides to Bucketlist Hikes in Europe
(That I’ve personally done and loved.)
Like it? Share it to promote sustainable tourism.
Author profile: Morgan Fielder is a Doctor of Physical Therapy and passionate hiker who believes in exploring the world on foot with good food. Follow her journey as she shares science-based hiking tips and advocates for sustainable tourism.
I hope I answered your burning question: Can you clean a jansport backpack without ruining it.