Crave the Planet is reader-supported. When you click on some links and you purchase, I may receive money at no additional cost to you. – Thanks, Morgan
We’ve all been there. Forgotten bananas or the moldly growth from staying in the closet too long. So, can you wash a north face backpack?
The last thing we want to do is ruin the material’s breathability or take off a zipper on an expensive backpack.
These backpacks are designed to be durable and not contribute to the issue of fast fashion and waste.
Yes!!! The aim of this article is to show you the safest and easiest ways to do it without ruining the waterproof layer or damage the pack.
Read until the end where you’ll learn the safest cleaning detergent solution for terrible stains and dirt that help keep the breathability and waterproofing layer.
Is It Safe to Wash North Face Backpacks?
Yes, but in general try not to wash your expensive backpacks regularly. It degrades the weather protection, but sometimes you’ve just got to do some maintenance so here’s the summary on how to wash your backpack:
You can absolutely wash your Northface backpack, but with care. You'll want to avoid washing it if possible as the pack is covered with a protective weather sealant that will degrade with washing. Your pack can withstand a lot of debris and water and may not need as much "washing" as you think. Simply dust it off after each hike to avoid having to wash it. The biggest problem will likely be mold from food left in the bag or if you let it sit overwinter in a closed closet.
From least to most damaging ways to wash:
- 1. Avoid placing on exterior walls or closets where mold will occur
- 2. Hand spot clean with cloth, old toothbrush
- 3. Hand wash with soapy water
- 4. Soak in tub with soapy water
- 5. Machine wash on gentle cycle
Never place it in the dryer.
Get it outside in the sun to dry completely.
Can You Wash a North Face Backpack
🔥🥾 Related Reading: Hiking Advice from a Physical Therapist Hiking Addict:
- Love Nature and hiking? Check out my complete guide to the best hiking podcasts.
- Learn more about brand specific guides on washing a backpack.
- Curious about how safe hiking really is?
- “Hiking in a dress? It’s a trend you won’t want to miss!”
Cleaning Tips for Your North Face Backpack
Try to keep your North Face backpack in a well ventilated storage area and avoid the back of the closet or along an outer house wall.
Also, try wiping down your pack the day of use with a simple wet cloth to avoid accumulation of dirt that will require it to be washed in future.
You can wash a north face backpack if absolutely necessary. Start with spot cleaning it with a wet cloth. If that doesn’t work you can soak it in cold water in the bathtub and scrub it with a toothbrush.
For really stubborn stains, you can finally try to add some mild detergent to the water. For mold utilize a vinegar solution and exposure to natural sunlight.
Finally, if it’s really bad, use a delicate cold cycle in the washing machine at your own risk. Hang dry.
Different Methods to Wash North Face Backpack
Step by Step Instructions for Hand Washing Your Backpack
Start with Spot Cleaning
- Completely empty your North face backpack and shake out any debris
- Use a warm wet sponge to get all the bits of dirt and debris out of any pockets or corners
- Use a toothbrush to remove dirt from zippers
- Rinse area with warm sponge
- Hang dry until completely dry indoors or in shade
Not enough? Soak and Scrub
- All of the above steps plus add a drop of detergent like Nikwax on the sponge if needed.
Still not enough?
- Fill a bathtub with warm water and submerge the backpack.
- Use a wet towel or sponge to scrub areas of dirt or stain
- Completely rinse and hang dry indoors or in shade
Machine Washing Your North Face Backpack
The manufacturer warns against using a washing machine to keep the integrity of the backpack. However if you feel it is necessary, use the gentle cycle with cool water only and a slow spin cycle.
Do not use the dryer, only hang dry your backpack. You can also put it inside a mesh bag to protect it further from the machine wash.
Cleaning a Moldy Backpack
Plain white vinegar can help you get rid of mold on your North Face backpack.
This is likely the biggest reason to actually wash a north face backpack as a little bit of dirt is a badge of honor on a good backpack.
But when left in a closet or near a damp wall the packs can start to grow mold and mildew and you might have to take action.
Vinegar has antifungal and antibacterial properties, and it can be a cheap and effective treatment for many types of mold.
Put full strength vinegar into a spray bottle and soak the area of infestation. Let it sit for 1 hour minimum and then wipe away the mold with a damp cloth. Hang dry outdoors in full sunlight if possible.
Can I Put My North Face Backpack in The Dryer?
Absolutely not. Do NOT put your north face backpack in the dryer. If parts of your backpack refuse to get dry after a wash, try using a hairdryer on the low cool setting to get the small corners dry.
NikWax Tech Wash is trusted by backpackers and people interested in keeping their packs for decades. It refreshes the backpack material’s water resistance capacity and breathability to keep you dry and comfortable.
Are you curious about hiking with your North Face backpack?
Want to see more great gear and tips for hikers and nature lovers? Be sure to check out the following:
More Hiking & Outdoor Gear Resources
Here’s more awesome gear to empower your journey. I have written in-depth comparisons of products that make hiking and exploring the Great Outdoors safer and more fun, especially if you’re a beginner (or like me, a little rusty in the knees).
Physical Therapist Curated Gear Guides for Hikers
- 🧎 Make your knees feel better while hiking and walking: Best Knee Braces for Hiking
- 🌳Make the downhills stop hurting and hike with more confidence Best Trekking Poles Review
- ⌚ Never get lost on the trail and navigate the wilderness safely with My Review of the Best GPS Watches for Hiking
- ❄️ Go hiking on uneven terrain safely: The Best Hiking Boots with Ankle Support
- 🥾 Don’t get lost in the backcountry during a big hike: My Review of the BEST PLB – Personal Locator Beacons
How to Clean Your Backpack [by Brand]
Detailed Guides on How to Clean According to the Manufacturer
|Brand||EXACTLY HOW TO CLEAN|
|The North Face||How to Clean a Northface Backpack|
|Fjällräven Kanken||How to Clean a Kanken Backpack|
|Osprey||How To Clean an Osprey Backpack|
|Deuter||How to Clean a Deuter Backpack|
|Herschel||How to Clean a Herschel Backpack|
|Nike||How to Clean a Nike Backpack|
|Canvas||How to Clean a Canvas Backpack|
|Vera Bradley||How to Clean a Vera Bradley Backpack|
|Jack Wolfskin||How to Clean a Jack Wolfskin Backpack|
|Jansport||How to Clean a Jansport Backpack|
Author profile: Morgan Fielder is a Doctor of Physical Therapy and passionate hiker who believes in exploring the world on foot with good food. Follow her journey as she shares science-based hiking tips and advocates for sustainable tourism.