Crave the Planet is reader-supported. When you click on links to buy products I may receive money to support the work of building Outdoor Travel & Gear Guides. – Thanks, Morgan
Are you looking for the best hiking shorts for women? Maybe you tried hiking in a dress, but now you’re ready for some good ole hiking shorts!
Here’s the deal…women either love or hate hiking in shorts. There’s issues of chafe and length you must consider for longer hikes.
When it comes to hiking shorts for women, there are several factors to consider. The material should be lightweight, breathable, and quick-drying to keep you cool and comfortable on the trail. The shorts should also be durable and able to withstand the wear and tear of hiking through rough terrain.
Another important factor to consider is the fit of the shorts. They should be comfortable and allow for a full range of motion, without being too loose or too tight.
➡️ The length of the shorts is also important, as they should provide adequate coverage while still allowing for ventilation. If you’re like me and your thighs rub together, consider longer shorts to avoid skin irritation.
11 Best Hiking Shorts For Women
In this review, we’ve researched and tested various hiking shorts for women to identify the best options on the market. We’ve considered factors such as material, fit, length, and overall performance to bring you the top picks for the best hiking shorts for women.
If you’re looking for hiking shorts that are both stylish and functional, then the Women’s Wander Short from THE NORTH FACE is a great option.
- Made from 86% recycled polyester-stretch fabric with a durable water-repellent (DWR) finish
- Sweat-wicking, extremely durable FlashDry tech
- Side vents at the hem allow for even more mobility
- Drawstring closure may not be as secure as a zipper or button
- Hand wash only may be inconvenient for some
- Inseam may be too short for some hikers
The Wander Short is made from a moisture-wicking fabric that’s perfect for tough conditions. The FlashDry technology ensures that you stay dry and comfortable, while the side vents at the hem allow for even more mobility. The tailored fit is trim but not tight, so you can move freely on the trail.
The invisible-zip pocket on the right hip stores your small essentials when you’re on-the-go, so you don’t have to worry about losing anything important. The Wander Short is also a great option for casual wear, so you can wear it to the gym or out for a run.
If you’re looking for a comfortable and durable pair of hiking shorts, then the Columbia Women’s Sandy River Cargo Short is definitely worth considering.
- The quick-dry fabric ensures that you stay sweat-free and comfortable, even on the hottest days.
- The UPF 30 technology helps to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
- The multi-pocket design allows you to keep all your essentials close at hand.
- Some customers have reported that the sizing can be a bit off, so it’s important to refer to the sizing chart before making your purchase.
- The shorts may not be as breathable as some other options on the market.
- The belt that comes with the shorts may not be the most durable.
Crafted from 100% nylon Perfect Plus II fabric, these shorts are both lightweight and durable, making them the perfect choice for any outdoor activity. The interior layer is made from Columbia’s signature quick-dry fabric, which ensures that you stay cool and comfortable, even on the hottest days. Meanwhile, the exterior features UPF 30 technology, which helps to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
One of the standout features of these shorts is their multi-pocket design. With one zip-closure security pocket and two side pockets, you can keep all your essentials close at hand, whether you’re hiking, camping, or just running errands around town. The shorts also come with a partial elastic waist and an included belt, which allows you to achieve a personalized, classic fit.
If you’re looking for a pair of hiking shorts that are both comfortable and stylish, the prAna Women’s Double Peak Short is a great option.
- Made from organic cotton and recycled polyester, making them eco-friendly
- Feature a button closure and zippered pockets, keeping your belongings secure while on the go
- The spandex material ensures a comfortable and flexible fit
- Sizing can be tricky, so make sure to check the size chart before purchasing
- Some reviewers have noted that the crotch area can be a bit baggy
- They may not be the best option for very hot weather, as the material is a bit thick
These shorts are perfect for a variety of activities, from hiking to running errands around town. The organic cotton and recycled polyester materials make them a sustainable choice, and the spandex ensures a comfortable fit that moves with you.
The button closure and zippered pockets provide added security for your belongings, so you can focus on your adventure without worrying about losing anything. Plus, the antique bronze color is both stylish and versatile, making them a great addition to any wardrobe.
While some reviewers have noted that the sizing can be tricky, overall the prAna Women’s Double Peak Short is a great option for anyone looking for a comfortable and eco-friendly pair of hiking shorts.
If you’re looking for comfortable and durable hiking shorts, the MARMOT Women’s Kodachrome Shorts are a great option.
- The stretch performance fabric is lightweight, breathable, and quick-drying, making these shorts comfortable to wear on hot days.
- The UPF 50 sun protection is a great feature for outdoor activities.
- The DWR finish repels water from the surface fabric, keeping you dry in light rain.
- The shorts may run large, so make sure to check the sizing chart before purchasing.
- The elasticated waistband with adjustable belt may not be as secure as a traditional button or snap closure.
- There are limited color options available.
The MARMOT Women’s Kodachrome Shorts are made with a lightweight and stretchy fabric that makes them comfortable to wear during outdoor activities. The UPF 50 sun protection is a great feature for long hikes or days spent in the sun. The DWR finish repels water from the surface fabric, which is a great feature for unexpected rain showers.
One potential downside of these shorts is that they may run large, so make sure to check the sizing chart before purchasing. The elasticated waistband with adjustable belt may not be as secure as a traditional button or snap closure, which could be a concern for some hikers. Additionally, there are limited color options available, so you may not be able to find a color that suits your style.
If you’re looking for a comfortable and functional hiking short, the Smartwool Women’s Active Lined Short is a great choice.
- Made with a blend of merino wool and polyester for odor-resistance and temperature regulation
- Snap closure for a secure fit
- Designed to minimize chafing for maximum comfort
- Only available in black
- May be more expensive than other hiking shorts on the market
- Some users may prefer a longer inseam for more coverage
These shorts are made with a blend of merino wool and polyester, making them both odor-resistant and temperature regulating. The snap closure ensures a secure fit, and the design helps to minimize chafing so you can stay comfortable on the trail.
While these shorts are only available in black, they are made in the USA and are backed by Smartwool’s Go Far. Feel Good.™ Guarantee. Keep in mind that they may be more expensive than other hiking shorts on the market, but the quality and comfort they provide may be worth the investment.
If you’re looking for comfortable and functional hiking shorts for women, then the SANTINY Women’s Hiking Cargo Shorts are a great choice.
- Lightweight and quick-dry fabric
- Elastic waistband for a custom fit
- Multiple pockets for storage
- May not fit well for all body types
- Hand wash only
- Some customers reported sizing issues
Crafted with lightweight, quick-dry, breathable, and water-resistant fabric, these women’s hiking shorts are perfect for outdoor activities. The 360-degree elastic waistband with adjustable drawstring ensures a comfortable and custom fit during hiking. Additionally, the shorts feature 2 zipper side pockets and 2 zipper cargo pockets that are deep enough to store your phone, keys, and other essentials without falling out.
One downside to these shorts is that they may not fit well for all body types, so it’s important to check the sizing chart before purchasing. Additionally, these shorts require hand washing, which may not be convenient for some people. Some customers have reported sizing issues, so it’s important to read the reviews before making a purchase.
CRZ YOGA Women’s Lightweight Mid Rise Hiking Shorts 4” – Stretch Athletic Summer Travel Outdoor Golf Shorts Zip Pockets Small Cliff Ash
If you’re looking for comfortable and versatile hiking shorts, CRZ YOGA Women’s Lightweight Mid Rise Hiking Shorts are a great option.
- The lightweight ripstop fabric is quick-drying, moisture-wicking, stretchy, and resistant to tearing.
- The elastic waistband with interior drawstring offers more flexibility for a versatile fit and makes shorts more concise and comfy.
- The shorts have two zip pockets and a small side pocket to store your essentials, and a breathable net pocket behind the waist is ideal for keeping your towels.
- Some customers have reported sizing issues, so make sure to check the size chart before purchasing.
- The shorts do not have a lining, which may not be ideal for some users.
- The shorts may be too short for some hikers who prefer longer shorts.
The CRZ YOGA Women’s Lightweight Mid Rise Hiking Shorts are perfect for hiking, golf, outdoor activities, workouts, travel, boating, and other exercises. The quick-dry fabric keeps you comfortable and dry, and the stretchy and tear-resistant material allows for a full range of motion.
The elastic waistband with interior drawstring offers a versatile fit, and the shorts have two zip pockets and a small side pocket to store your essentials. The breathable net pocket behind the waist is perfect for keeping your towels.
While some customers have reported sizing issues, most customers have found the shorts to be true to size. However, make sure to check the size chart before purchasing.
BALEAF Women’s 7″ Athletic Long Running Shorts Quick Dry Workout Hiking Shorts High Waisted Zipper Pocket Black Large
If you’re looking for comfortable and functional hiking shorts, the BALEAF Women’s 7″ Athletic Long Running Shorts are a great option.
- The knit waistband with drawstring provides a relaxed and comfortable fit.
- The 7″ inseam offers ample coverage and prevents thigh rubbing.
- The lightweight and quick-drying fabric is perfect for outdoor activities.
- The back zipper pocket is small and can only hold small items.
- The material is thin and may not be durable for heavy use.
- The lack of a liner may be uncomfortable for some users.
These shorts are perfect for hiking, running, and other outdoor activities. The knit waistband with drawstring ensures a comfortable and secure fit, while the 7″ inseam provides ample coverage and prevents thigh rubbing. The lightweight and quick-drying fabric is perfect for outdoor activities and keeps you cool and comfortable during your workout.
One downside is the small size of the back zipper pocket, which can only hold small items like keys or a credit card. Additionally, the lack of a liner may be uncomfortable for some users. However, the overall comfort and functionality of these shorts make them a great option for any outdoor activity.
If you’re looking for a comfortable and practical pair of hiking shorts for women, the AFITNE Women’s 4″ Hiking Shorts might be the right choice for you.
- Lightweight and quick-dry fabric keeps you fresh and comfortable all day.
- Elastic waistband with drawstring provides a comfortable and adjustable fit.
- UPF 50+ sun protective fabric provides excellent protection against harmful ultraviolet rays.
- Some users report that the shorts are tight in the thighs.
- The crotch area may scrunch up, according to some reviews.
- The shorts might be a little longer than expected.
These shorts are made of 90% Nylon and 10% Spandex, which makes them lightweight, slightly elastic, and quick-drying. The elastic waistband with drawstring provides a comfortable and adjustable fit, while the split hem with snap button on each side allows extra range of motion. The UPF 50+ sun protective fabric provides excellent protection against harmful ultraviolet rays, and the water-resistant capacity helps resist light moisture.
The shorts feature two side zipper pockets that are deep enough to store your essentials, so you won’t have to worry about misplacing your necessities while you exercise. The quick-dry summer shorts are perfect for hiking, camping, traveling, athletic, fishing, climbing, golf, walking, running, jogging, outdoors, or daily casual workwear.
BALEAF Women’s 15″ Long Shorts Below The Knee Capri Hiking Cargo Shorts Lightweight Quick Dry Elastic Waist for Casual X-Large 15in-black
If you’re looking for comfortable hiking shorts that provide plenty of coverage, the BALEAF Women’s 15″ Long Shorts are worth considering.
- The below-knee capri length provides ample coverage and is versatile for various outdoor activities.
- The shorts have convenient pockets, including a zippered side security pocket.
- The quick-dry, stretchy fabric is comfortable and durable.
- Some users may find the shorts to be a little baggy on the thighs.
- The sizing may be a little off, so it’s best to order a size down if you prefer a snug fit.
- The shorts may not be suitable for very hot weather due to the thicker fabric.
These shorts are perfect for hiking, camping, climbing, travel, trekking, and casual work. The mid-rise stretch waist is easy to pull on and off, and the tummy control feature is an added bonus. The shorts are made of upgraded stretch fabric that flexes with you, making them comfortable enough to do the splits while also being durable enough for any top-out.
The shorts have two pockets on the front and a zippered side security pocket that is deep enough to put down a cell phone. The breathable nylon with stretch offers comfort, and the durable water repellent (DWR) finish fends off light rain and spills to keep you dry.
Overall, the BALEAF Women’s 15″ Long Shorts Below The Knee Capri Hiking Cargo Shorts are an excellent choice for anyone looking for comfortable and versatile hiking shorts.
If you’re looking for comfortable and practical hiking shorts, the Nomolen Women’s Hiking Shorts are a great option.
- The lightweight and stretchy fabric keeps you cool and comfortable during outdoor activities.
- The UPF 50+ fabric protects your skin from harmful UV radiation.
- The four pockets provide ample storage for your essentials, and the zipper closures keep them secure.
- The shorts may not fit true to size, so it’s important to check the sizing chart before ordering.
- The elastic waistband may not be tight enough for some users.
- The shorts may not be as durable as other hiking shorts on the market.
These shorts are made from a lightweight and stretchy fabric that wicks away sweat and dries quickly, making them perfect for outdoor activities like hiking, camping, and running. The UPF 50+ fabric also provides protection from harmful UV radiation, making them a great choice for sunny days.
The shorts feature four pockets, two in the front and two in the back, which provide ample storage for your phone, keys, and other essentials. The zipper closures on the pockets keep your items secure, so you don’t have to worry about losing them while you’re out and about.
One potential downside of these shorts is that they may not fit true to size, so it’s important to check the sizing chart before ordering. Additionally, the elastic waistband may not be tight enough for some users, which could cause the shorts to slide down during physical activity. Finally, while the shorts are durable, they may not hold up as well as other hiking shorts on the market.
When looking for the best hiking shorts for women, there are several features you should consider to ensure you get the right product for your needs. Here are some factors that you should look at when making your purchase:
The material used to make the shorts is a crucial factor to consider. Hiking shorts are typically made of lightweight and breathable materials that can withstand the rigors of the trail. Look for materials that are moisture-wicking, quick-drying, and durable. Some popular materials used in hiking shorts include nylon, polyester, and spandex.
The fit of the shorts is also an essential factor to consider. You want to ensure that the shorts fit well and are comfortable to wear for extended periods. Look for shorts that have a comfortable waistband and offer enough room for movement. Additionally, consider the length of the shorts, as some hikers prefer longer shorts for added protection against the elements.
Pockets are another feature to consider when purchasing hiking shorts. Look for shorts that have enough pockets to carry your essentials, such as your phone, map, and snacks. Additionally, consider the placement of the pockets, as some hikers prefer pockets that are easily accessible.
When hiking, it’s essential to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays. Look for hiking shorts that offer UPF protection to shield your skin from the sun. UPF stands for Ultraviolet Protection Factor and measures the amount of UV radiation that penetrates the fabric.
Hiking can be a sweaty activity, so it’s crucial to choose shorts that are breathable and allow for proper ventilation. Look for shorts that have mesh panels or vents to promote airflow and keep you cool and dry.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best hiking shorts for your needs and enjoy a comfortable and enjoyable hiking experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some good hiking shorts for women with thicker thighs?
When it comes to hiking shorts for women with thicker thighs, look for shorts with a wider leg opening and a stretchy material. Some options to consider are the Columbia Women’s Anytime Outdoor Long Short, the prAna Women’s Halle Short, and the North Face Women’s Aphrodite 2.0 Short.
What are some knee-length walking shorts for women?
If you prefer knee-length shorts for hiking, consider the Eddie Bauer Women’s Guide Pro Shorts, the Patagonia Women’s Quandary Shorts, and the REI Co-op Women’s Active Pursuits Shorts. These shorts are designed to be durable, moisture-wicking, and comfortable for long hikes.
What are some comfortable pull-on shorts for women to wear while hiking?
Pull-on shorts can be a great option for women who prioritize comfort while hiking. Some popular options include the Athleta Women’s Trekkie North Short, the L.L.Bean Women’s Vista Trekking Shorts, and the Outdoor Research Women’s Ferrosi Shorts.
What are some popular brands of hiking shorts for women?
There are many popular brands of hiking shorts for women, including Columbia, Patagonia, prAna, North Face, Eddie Bauer, and REI Co-op. Each brand offers a variety of styles and features to suit different preferences and needs.
Are Lululemon shorts suitable for hiking?
While Lululemon shorts are designed for athletic activities, they may not be the best choice for hiking. Many Lululemon shorts are made with a lightweight and stretchy material that may not be durable enough for rugged terrain. Additionally, some Lululemon shorts have a shorter inseam that may not provide enough coverage for hiking.
Can gym shorts be worn for hiking?
While gym shorts can be worn for hiking, they may not be the most comfortable or practical option. Gym shorts are typically made with a lightweight and breathable material that may not hold up well on rough terrain. Additionally, gym shorts may not have the pockets or features needed for hiking, such as moisture-wicking fabric or UPF protection.
My Gear Review Process
At Crave the Planet, I’m all about honest and relatable reviews of outdoor products. As a physical therapist, hut to hut hiker, downhill skier and mom, I’m constantly trying new gear to make my outdoor experiences more comfy and fun but with science in mind.
I’ll be real with you, I’m not an expert in every outdoor activity. But, who is? I’m just a regular person who loves exploring the planet. Perfectionism is my enemy and I hope to help you ditch that vibe too.
My review process involves testing each product in real-life outdoor situations, but if it’s a really horrible day I’ll probably find a hotel in the valley. I’ll let you know what worked for me and what didn’t, so you can make informed decisions about your gear choices.
I don’t do sponsored reviews or take payment for my reviews. All comments are based on my personal experience. Sometimes I’ll test something and then send it back for a refund. Usually there’s a hefty fee. Bummer. So, if you’re looking for a relatable and honest take on outdoor gear, you’re in the right place.
More Hiking Resources
Here’s more awesome gear to empower your journey.
Physical Therapist Curated Gear Guides for Hikers
- 🧎 Make your knees feel better while hiking and walking: Best Knee Braces for Hiking
- 🌳Make the downhills stop hurting and hike with more confidence Best Trekking Poles Review
- ⌚ Never get lost on the trail and navigate the wilderness safely with My Review of the Best GPS Watches for Hiking
- ❄️ Go hiking in the winter or on icy surfaces safely: The Best Microspikes for Hiking
- 💰 Save money by making your SUV a hotel the night before a big hike: My Review of the BEST Air Mattress for Your SUV
Like it? Share it to promote sustainable tourism.
Author profile: Morgan Fielder is a physical therapist and passionate hiker who believes in exploring the world on foot with good food. Follow her journey as she shares science-based hiking tips and advocates for sustainable tourism.