Crave the Planet is reader-supported. When you click on some links and you purchase, I may receive money at no additional cost to you. – Thanks, Morgan
The best summer hiking socks are those that are lightweight, breathable, and moisture-wicking, and I know which ones to look for based on my 30 years hiking and taking care of people’s feet as a physical therapist.
Not all socks are created equal. Let’s face it — cotton socks are dead.
Trust me, socks are an essential item that often gets overlooked but they can make a huge difference in your hiking experience.
Choosing the right socks is especially important to ensure comfort and prevent blisters.
❤️ YOUR FEET!!!! LEARN ALL MY BEST EXPERT TIPS AND TRICKS TO CARE FOR YOUR FEET WHILE HIKING
- Best Hiking Socks for Preventing Blisters
- Tips for Hiking with Plantar Fasciitis
- How to Protect Your Toes Hiking Downhill
- Full Review of the Best Blister Kits for Hiking
- What it’s like to Use Neoprene Socks for Hiking
- Injinji Toe Socks Review
Learn from my almost 3 decades of hiking, running and physical therapy practice.
Best Summer Hiking Socks
If you’re planning a hiking trip this summer, one of the most important things you need to consider is your socks. The right pair of socks can make all the difference in keeping your feet comfortable and preventing blisters.
With so many options on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the best pair for your needs. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the best summer hiking socks to help you make an informed decision.
Whether you’re looking for socks with extra cushioning, moisture-wicking properties, or a perfect fit, we’ve got you covered. Check out my top picks below.
If you’re looking for a comfortable pair of summer hiking socks, the Merrell Wool Everyday Hiking Socks are a great option.
- Arch support – The Merrell short cushion low cut ankle socks have arch band support to give you maximum comfort and protect your feet from fatigue all day long.
- Reinforced heel and toe – Merrell and hiking socks have reinforced heel and toe which ensures better and longer durability of the sock, so they will last and serve for you year after year.
- Moisture-wicking – These socks are designed to keep your feet dry and comfortable during long hikes.
- Sizing – Some customers have reported that the sizing can be a bit off, so make sure to check the size chart before purchasing.
- Thickness – These socks are on the thicker side, which may not be ideal for those who prefer thinner socks.
- Price – These socks are more expensive than some other options on the market.
The Merrell Wool Everyday Hiking Socks are made from a blend of acrylic, wool, nylon, and Lycra spandex, which makes them comfortable and durable. The arch support helps to prevent fatigue, while the reinforced heel and toe ensure that the socks will last for a long time. Additionally, the moisture-wicking technology helps to keep your feet dry and comfortable during long hikes.
However, some customers have reported that the sizing can be a bit off, so make sure to check the size chart before purchasing. Additionally, these socks are on the thicker side, which may not be ideal for those who prefer thinner socks. Finally, these socks are more expensive than some other options on the market.
If you’re looking for comfortable, breathable, and moisture-wicking socks for your outdoor activities, FEIDEER Women’s Hiking Walking Socks are a great option.
- Precision knit, breathable fabrics that wick perspiration and make outdoor activities easier and more enjoyable
- Thickened toes and heels with high density and elasticity that ease impact, reduce friction, and protect your feet from blisters
- Elasticized arch brace and elastic ribbed cuffs that provide good flexibility, avoid sock rotation, and are durable and comfortable
- Some customers have reported sizing issues
- May not be suitable for extreme weather conditions
- Some customers have reported durability issues after multiple washes
FEIDEER Women’s Hiking Walking Socks are made of cotton (75%), polyester fiber (22%), and spandex (3%), and come in various colors and packages. They have a mesh ventilation zone that keeps your feet dry and comfortable, and a fully cushioned design that provides shock absorption and durability. The socks are ideal for trekking, walking, running, camping, hiking, skiing, cycling, and other outdoor activities.
The socks are easy to care for, and can be hand washed in cold water and air-dried for longer-lasting use. They should not be machine washed in water above 40 degrees Celsius, bleached, ironed, or dry cleaned.
If you are looking for comfortable and durable hiking socks, then FEIDEER Hiking Walking Socks For Women is an excellent choice.
- These socks are made of breathable material that keeps your feet cool and dry, even during long hikes.
- The cushioned footbed and arch support provide extra comfort and reduce foot fatigue.
- The socks are available in different heights and colors, so you can choose the one that suits you best.
- Some customers have reported that the socks are a bit tight around the ankle.
- The socks may not be suitable for very cold weather.
- The socks are hand wash only, which may be inconvenient for some users.
FEIDEER Hiking Walking Socks For Women are perfect for anyone who enjoys hiking or other outdoor activities. The socks are made of high-quality material that is both comfortable and durable, and they are available in a range of colors and heights to suit your preferences.
The socks are designed to be breathable, so your feet stay cool and dry even during long hikes. The cushioned footbed and arch support provide extra comfort and reduce foot fatigue, so you can enjoy your outdoor activities without any discomfort.
One of the best things about these socks is that they are available in different heights and colors. This means you can choose the one that suits you best, whether you prefer crew socks, quarter socks, or something in between. The colors are also bright and cheerful, adding a touch of fun to your outdoor outfit.
There are a few downsides to these socks. Some customers have reported that the socks are a bit tight around the ankle, which may be uncomfortable for some users. Additionally, the socks may not be suitable for very cold weather, as they are designed to be breathable. Finally, the socks are hand wash only, which may be inconvenient for some users.
If you’re looking for eco-friendly and comfortable hiking socks, then the Merrell Recycled Cushioned Crew Socks are a great option for you.
- Made with 92% recycled polyester, 5% nylon, and 3% spandex, these socks are environmentally conscious.
- The moisture management and odor control technology will keep your feet dry and comfortable on long hikes.
- With a 6-pack of socks, you’ll have plenty of pairs to last you through multiple hikes.
- Some customers have reported that the socks run small, so you may want to consider sizing up.
- The socks may not be as breathable as some other hiking socks on the market.
- If you prefer a thicker sock, these may not be the best option for you.
These socks are perfect for anyone who wants to be environmentally conscious while still enjoying a comfortable hike. The moisture management and odor control technology will keep your feet dry and comfortable, and the 6-pack of socks means you’ll have plenty of pairs to last you through multiple hikes. However, some customers have reported that the socks run small, so you may want to consider sizing up. Additionally, if you prefer a thicker sock, these may not be the best option for you.
In terms of comfort, these socks are soft and cushioned, with a comfortable fit arch support band. The socks come in ankle quarter, low cut, and crew length, so you can choose the style that best fits your needs. The socks are also available in a variety of colors and designs, so you can find a pair that matches your personal style.
If you’re looking for a comfortable and durable pair of summer hiking socks, then the innotree Men’s Cushioned Hiking Socks might be a good option for you.
- Made with a breathable and fast-drying material that’s comfortable to wear.
- Provides a good amount of cushioning and support for your feet.
- Moisture-wicking technology helps keep your feet dry and prevents blisters.
- Some users have reported that the socks develop holes after a few uses.
- The socks are not as thick or tall as some other hiking socks on the market.
- The sizing may not be accurate for all users.
These socks are made with a blend of cotton, nylon, and Lycra spandex, which makes them comfortable to wear and helps prevent blisters. They also feature a half-thickness cushioning along the bottom of the foot that provides support and comfort during long hikes. The socks have a compressed top that holds them securely on the calf, so you don’t have to worry about them slipping down.
One of the best things about these socks is their moisture-wicking technology. This helps keep your feet dry and prevents blisters, even during long hikes in hot weather. The socks are also machine washable, which makes them easy to care for.
However, some users have reported that the socks develop holes after a few uses, which can be frustrating. Additionally, the socks are not as thick or tall as some other hiking socks on the market, which may not provide enough support for some users. Finally, the sizing may not be accurate for all users, so it’s important to check the sizing chart carefully before making a purchase.
If you’re looking for comfortable and durable socks for your summer hikes, you should consider the Dickies Women’s 6 Pack Dritech Quarter Socks.
- Moisture wicking fibers keep feet dry with ventilation channels engineered for air circulation and moisture control
- Arch compression provides added support and stability
- Full cushion comfort with reinforced heel and toe provides added durability
- Content may vary by color
- Some users may find the cuff a bit snug
- May not be suitable for very cold weather
These socks are made with dri-tech moisture control technology, which combines moisture-wicking fibers and mesh ventilation channels to keep your feet dry and comfortable. The arch compression provides added support and stability, while the full cushion comfort with reinforced heel and toe provides added durability.
The Dickies Women’s 6 Pack Dritech Quarter Socks are perfect for summer hiking, but may not be suitable for very cold weather. Keep in mind that the content may vary by color and some users may find the cuff a bit snug.
If you’re looking for comfortable and durable hiking socks, the innotree Women’s Cushioned Hiking Socks are a great choice.
- The fine gauge knitting technology makes the socks super comfortable, breathable, and fast-drying, so your feet stay dry and comfortable even on long hikes.
- The socks have great elasticity and stay up-compressed top that holds the quarter socks securely on the calf, so you don’t have to worry about them slipping down during your hike.
- The half thickness and cushioning along the bottom of the foot provide the perfect amount of support while a smooth, performance fit assures there’s no slipping and no blisters.
- Some users may find the socks to be a bit tight around the calves and ankles, especially if they have larger calves or ankles.
- The socks may not be as warm as some other hiking socks, so they may not be the best choice for cold weather hikes.
- The colors may fade a bit after multiple washes.
These socks are a great choice for hiking, camping, mountain biking, trail running, backpacking, travel, trekking, and other athletic outdoor activities. They are also a great gift idea, with five pairs of quarter socks in one set. If you’re looking for comfortable, durable, and functional hiking socks, the innotree Women’s Cushioned Hiking Socks are definitely worth considering.
When it comes to choosing the best summer hiking socks, there are a few key features that you should consider. Here are some things to keep in mind as you shop for your next pair of hiking socks:
One of the most important things to consider when choosing hiking socks is the material they’re made from. Look for socks made from moisture-wicking materials like merino wool or synthetic fabrics. These materials will help keep your feet dry and comfortable during long hikes.
The amount of cushioning you need in your hiking socks will depend on the type of hiking you’ll be doing. If you’ll be hiking on rocky terrain, you’ll want socks with extra cushioning in the heel and toe areas to help absorb shock. If you’ll be hiking on flatter terrain, you may be able to get away with socks that have less cushioning.
Make sure to choose socks that fit well. Socks that are too tight can restrict circulation, while socks that are too loose can cause blisters. Look for socks that have a snug, but not tight, fit.
Hiking socks come in a variety of heights, from ankle socks to knee-high socks. Choose a sock height that works best for the type of hiking you’ll be doing. Ankle socks are great for shorter hikes, while knee-high socks can provide extra protection when hiking through brush or tall grass.
Finally, look for socks that are durable and built to last. Hiking socks take a lot of wear and tear, so you want to make sure you’re investing in a pair that will hold up over time. Look for socks with reinforced heels and toes, as well as socks that are made from high-quality materials.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of wearing merino wool hiking socks in the summer?
Merino wool hiking socks are a great choice for summer hiking because they are breathable, moisture-wicking, and odor-resistant. They keep your feet cool and dry, even in hot and humid conditions. Merino wool is also naturally antibacterial, which helps prevent foot odor and infection.
What are the top-rated summer hiking socks for men on Amazon?
Some of the top-rated summer hiking socks for men on Amazon include Darn Tough Hiker Micro Crew Cushion Socks, Smartwool PhD Outdoor Light Crew Socks, and Injinji Run Lightweight No-Show Toe Socks. These socks are made with breathable and moisture-wicking materials, and they provide cushioning and support for your feet.
Are there any women-specific summer hiking socks that are highly recommended?
Yes, there are many women-specific summer hiking socks that are highly recommended, including Smartwool PhD Outdoor Light Crew Socks, Darn Tough Hiker Micro Crew Cushion Socks, and Balega Hidden Comfort No-Show Running Socks. These socks are designed to fit women’s feet and provide the same benefits as men’s socks.
What features should I look for when choosing the best summer hiking socks?
When choosing the best summer hiking socks, look for socks that are breathable, moisture-wicking, and quick-drying. They should also provide cushioning and support for your feet, and be made with durable and high-quality materials. Consider the length of the socks, as well as any specific features that may be important to you, such as arch support or toe seams.
Can I wear cotton socks for summer hiking or do I need specialized socks?
While cotton socks may be comfortable, they are not recommended for summer hiking. Cotton socks absorb moisture and sweat, which can lead to blisters, foot odor, and infection. It is best to wear specialized hiking socks that are made with breathable and moisture-wicking materials.
Do I really need to wear hiking socks in the summer or can I just wear regular socks?
While you can wear regular socks for summer hiking, specialized hiking socks are recommended. They provide cushioning and support for your feet, and are made with breathable and moisture-wicking materials that keep your feet cool and dry. Hiking socks also help prevent blisters and foot odor, and can improve your overall hiking experience.
More Buying Guides for Hikers
At Crave the Planet, I’m all about honest and relatable reviews of outdoor products. As a physical therapist, hut to hut hiker, downhill skier and mom, I’m constantly trying new gear to make my outdoor experiences more comfy and fun but with science in mind.
I’ll be real with you, I don’t do every outdoor activity. But, who does? I’m just a regular person who loves exploring the planet. Perfectionism is my enemy and I hope to help you ditch that vibe too.
My review process involves testing each product in real-life outdoor situations, but if it’s a really horrible day I’ll probably find a hotel in the valley. I’ll let you know what worked for me and what didn’t, so you can make informed decisions about your gear choices.
I don’t do sponsored reviews or take payment for my reviews. All comments are based on my personal experience. Sometimes I’ll test something and then send it back for a refund. Usually there’s a hefty fee. Bummer. So, if you’re looking for a relatable and honest take on outdoor gear, you’re in the right place.
More Hiking & Outdoor Gear Resources
Here’s more awesome gear to empower your journey. I have written in-depth comparisons of products that make hiking and exploring the Great Outdoors safer and more fun, especially if you’re a beginner (or like me, a little rusty in the knees).
Physical Therapist Curated Gear Guides for Hikers
- 🧎 Make your knees feel better while hiking and walking: Best Knee Braces for Hiking
- 🌳Make the downhills stop hurting and hike with more confidence Best Trekking Poles Review
- ⌚ Never get lost on the trail and navigate the wilderness safely with My Review of the Best GPS Watches for Hiking
- ❄️ Go hiking on uneven terrain safely: The Best Hiking Boots with Ankle Support
- 🥾 Don’t get lost in the backcountry during a big hike: My Review of the BEST PLB – Personal Locator Beacons
My Guides to Bucketlist Hikes in Europe
(That I’ve personally done and loved.)
If you’re an avid hiker or mountaineer, you know that taking care of your feet is essential. I hope this list of the best summer hiking socks help you get ready for your next adventure.
Author profile: Morgan Fielder is a Doctor of Physical Therapy and passionate hiker who believes in exploring the world on foot with good food. Follow her journey as she shares science-based hiking tips and advocates for sustainable tourism.