Stay Comfortable on the Trails: The Best Hiking Underwear for Men
Crave the Planet is reader-supported. When you click on some links and you purchase, I may receive money at no additional cost to you. – Thanks, Morgan
Hiking is a popular outdoor activity that requires proper gear to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable experience. One of the most crucial pieces of gear for hikers is underwear.
Wearing the right underwear can prevent chafing, reduce moisture, and provide support during long hikes.
When it comes to hiking underwear, there are several factors to consider.
The waistband should be comfortable and not dig into your skin, and the leg openings should be snug but not constricting. Click here for women’s hiking underwear.
🔥 ➡️ Related Reading – Hiking Advice from a Physical Therapist Hiking Addict:
Read my review of the top hiking socks that can prevent blisters.
More Buying Guides:
⚡️ Best Blister Kits for Hiking
🦆 Review of the Best Down Jackets for Hiking
💡 Best Headlamps for Hiking
5 Best Hiking Underwear for Men
When it comes to hiking, the right gear can make all the difference in your comfort and performance on the trail. One often-overlooked piece of gear is underwear. The best hiking underwear for men is designed to keep you cool, dry, and comfortable during long hikes in the great outdoors.
1. Best Price: Hanes Men’s Total Support Pouch Boxer Briefs
If you’re looking for comfortable and supportive underwear for hiking, Hanes Men’s Total Support Pouch Boxer Briefs are worth considering.
- The Total Support Pouch design offers optimal support and separation, allowing for a breathable and comfortable fit.
- The breathable mesh liner separates and supports for anti-chafing comfort that lasts.
- The Comfort Flex waistband keeps your underwear from pinching and binding, plus they’re tagless for itch-free comfort.
- The size chart may not be accurate for everyone, so be sure to check the sizing carefully before ordering.
- The elastic waistband may be too stiff for some people, causing discomfort.
- The colors and patterns may vary depending on availability, so you may not get the exact design you want.
These Hanes Men’s Total Support Pouch Boxer Briefs are designed to adapt to your temperature and activity to help you stay cool, no matter what your day brings. The targeted mesh zones make them breathable, and the advanced odor protection plus moisture-wicking performance fabric help keep you dry. The soft, lightweight stretch fabric moves with you, and the no-ride-up legs stay in place.
2. Best for Travel: LAPASA Men’s Quick Dry Underwear
If you’re looking for comfortable and durable hiking underwear, LAPASA Men’s Quick Dry Travel Underwear is an excellent choice.
- The mesh fabric is smooth to the touch and extremely comfortable, which makes these sport boxer briefs offer superb durability and efficiently wick moisture away from the skin.
- The durable mesh fabric makes these sport boxer briefs light, stretchy and soft to the touch, making them well-suited for traveling and all types of outdoor activities.
- The hiking boxer briefs are equipped with a stylish elastic waistband, providing you a very comfortable fit without restriction.
- The waistband can roll down if you don’t pull them up tight and keep them there.
- They lose a little bit of elasticity over the day.
- If you don’t choose the right size, they could be exposing your privates.
These mesh travel boxer briefs remain fresh after days of use, which will help you to pack lighter and smell better. They are machine washable and can maintain their properties easily after regular washing. Two or three pairs will be enough for a whole trip.
In terms of construction, the hiking boxer briefs are slightly relaxed and active fit, allowing these mesh sport boxer briefs a greater range of motion during high-energy activities. The flatlock seams offer great comfort, which will not chafe you by repeatedly rubbing against it.
If you’re looking for comfortable and moisture-wicking underwear for your hiking trips, Columbia Men’s Performance Cotton Stretch Boxer Brief-3 Pack Large Black is worth considering.
- Moisture management treatment keeps you dry and comfortable
- Flat, anti-chafing stitches prevent irritation
- Tag-free design eliminates irritation and discomfort
- Some users find the briefs to be too short
- The price point is higher compared to other brands
- The spandex content may not be suitable for those with skin sensitivities
These boxer briefs are made of 57% cotton, 38% polyester, and 5% spandex, making them soft, breathable, and stretchy. The moisture management treatment is a great feature for hikers as it helps to keep sweat away from the skin, ensuring you stay dry and comfortable. The flat, anti-chafing stitches are a thoughtful addition that prevents irritation, while the tag-free design eliminates any discomfort.
However, some users find the briefs to be too short, which can be a problem if you prefer longer underwear. Additionally, the price point is higher compared to other brands, which may not be ideal for those on a budget. Lastly, the spandex content may not be suitable for those with skin sensitivities.
4. Best Quick Dry: DAVID ARCHY Mens Underwear Mesh
If you’re looking for high-performance hiking underwear, the DAVID ARCHY Mens Underwear Mesh Quick Dry Polyamide Boxer Briefs are a great choice.
- The ultra-fine polyamide mesh fabric is quick-drying and lightweight, making it easy to pack for travel.
- The 3D contour pouch design provides comfortable support and freedom of movement.
- The longer legs and flat-locked stitching offer a seamless, no-scratch experience, perfect for sports activities.
- The sizing may run small for some individuals.
- The underwear may not provide enough support for high-intensity activities.
- The solid versions of the underwear may not be as breathable as the mesh versions.
These boxer briefs are perfect for hiking and other outdoor activities. The quick-drying fabric ensures that you stay cool and fresh, while the 3D contour pouch design provides comfortable support and freedom of movement. The longer legs and flat-locked stitching offer a seamless, no-scratch experience, making them perfect for sports activities.
The ultra-fine polyamide mesh fabric is lightweight and breathable, making it easy to pack for travel. With five versions available, you can choose the one that best fits your needs. The solid versions are perfect for everyday wear, while the mesh versions are great for sports and other activities.
5. Best Bamboo: BAMBOO COOL Men’s Underwear boxer briefs
If you’re looking for comfortable and breathable underwear for your hiking trips, then BAMBOO COOL Men’s Underwear boxer briefs should be on your list.
- Made of 92% Bamboo Viscose + 8% Spandex, light and soft texture, better skin-friendly than cotton material, bring a fresh touch to your skin.
- Comfortable and breathable, moisture-wicking, keep you refreshed all day, very suitable for home, exercise, travel and other daily activities.
- The waist is full of elasticity, not loose, and does not fall down. It fits gently on the waist skin and does not produce an uncomfortable gathering feeling.
- The open fly design may not be suitable for all users.
- The sizes may run a bit small, so make sure to check the size chart before purchasing.
- The material may be too thin for some users.
BAMBOO COOL Men’s Underwear boxer briefs are made of bamboo viscose, which is a comfortable and breathable material that keeps you refreshed all day. The elastic waistband is stretchy and fits gently on your skin without producing any uncomfortable gathering feeling. The design is seamless, and the non-sensing label is printed on the outside, which eliminates the itchy sewing label and prevents the label from directly touching the skin and causing discomfort. The open fly design provides more comfort, breathability, more freedom, fuller vision, and more male charm.
The underwear is machine washable, and the material is lightweight and soft, making it suitable for hiking and other outdoor activities. The bamboo viscose material is better skin-friendly than cotton material, bringing a fresh touch to your skin. The underwear is moisture-wicking, which helps keep you dry and comfortable during your hikes.
When it comes to buying the best hiking underwear for men, there are a few things you should keep in mind to ensure you get a product that meets your needs. Here are some factors to consider when shopping for hiking underwear:
The material of the underwear is an important consideration. You want a fabric that is breathable, moisture-wicking, and quick-drying. Look for materials such as merino wool, synthetic blends, or bamboo. These materials will keep you comfortable and dry during your hike.
The fit of the underwear is also important. You want a snug fit that will prevent chafing and rubbing. Make sure the underwear is not too tight or too loose. Look for a product that has a good stretch and conforms to your body shape.
Hiking underwear should provide adequate support. Look for products that have a pouch or a supportive panel to keep everything in place. This will prevent discomfort and chafing during your hike.
Hiking underwear should be durable and able to withstand the rigors of the trail. Look for products that are made with high-quality materials and have reinforced seams. This will ensure that the underwear lasts for many hikes to come.
Hiking underwear should also have odor control properties. Look for products that are treated with antimicrobial agents to prevent odor buildup. This will keep you feeling fresh and comfortable during your hike.
More Outdoor Buying Guides
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of wearing moisture-wicking underwear for hiking?
Moisture-wicking underwear is designed to keep you dry and comfortable by pulling sweat away from your skin and allowing it to evaporate quickly. This helps to prevent chafing, irritation, and other uncomfortable conditions that can occur when you’re hiking for extended periods of time. Additionally, moisture-wicking materials are often breathable and lightweight, which can help to keep you cool and comfortable in hot weather.
What are some features to look for in high-quality hiking underwear?
When shopping for hiking underwear, look for features such as moisture-wicking materials, breathability, and quick-drying properties. Other important features include a comfortable fit, support, and durability. Some hiking underwear may also have antimicrobial properties to help prevent odors and bacteria buildup.
Can wearing the wrong underwear lead to chafing and discomfort while hiking?
Yes, wearing the wrong underwear can lead to chafing, irritation, and discomfort while hiking. Underwear that is too tight or too loose can cause rubbing and friction, which can lead to chafing and irritation. Additionally, underwear made from non-breathable materials can trap moisture and lead to uncomfortable conditions.
Are boxers or briefs a better choice for hiking underwear?
The choice between boxers and briefs for hiking underwear is a personal preference. Boxers may provide more breathability and freedom of movement, while briefs may offer more support and prevent chafing. Some hikers prefer to wear compression shorts or boxer briefs for the best of both worlds.
What are the advantages of wearing Merino wool underwear for hiking?
Merino wool is a natural fiber that is known for its softness, breathability, and moisture-wicking properties. It is also naturally antimicrobial, which helps to prevent odors and bacteria buildup. Merino wool underwear is a great choice for hikers who want a comfortable and durable option that can handle a variety of weather conditions.
Which brands make the best hiking underwear for men?
There are many brands that make high-quality hiking underwear for men, including ExOfficio, Smartwool, Icebreaker, and Under Armour. When choosing a brand, look for one that offers features such as moisture-wicking materials, breathability, and support, as well as a comfortable fit and durability.
More Buying Guides for Hikers
At Crave the Planet, I’m all about honest and relatable reviews of outdoor products. As a physical therapist, hut to hut hiker, downhill skier and mom, I’m constantly trying new gear to make my outdoor experiences more comfy and fun but with science in mind.
I’ll be real with you, I don’t do every outdoor activity. But, who does? I’m just a regular person who loves exploring the planet. Perfectionism is my enemy and I hope to help you ditch that vibe too.
My review process involves testing each product in real-life outdoor situations, but if it’s a really horrible day I’ll probably find a hotel in the valley. I’ll let you know what worked for me and what didn’t, so you can make informed decisions about your gear choices.
I don’t do sponsored reviews or take payment for my reviews. All comments are based on my personal experience. Sometimes I’ll test something and then send it back for a refund. Usually there’s a hefty fee. Bummer. So, if you’re looking for a relatable and honest take on outdoor gear, you’re in the right place.
More Hiking & Outdoor Gear Resources
Here’s more awesome gear to empower your journey. I have written in-depth comparisons of products that make hiking and exploring the Great Outdoors safer and more fun, especially if you’re a beginner (or like me, a little rusty in the knees).
Physical Therapist Curated Gear Guides for Hikers
- 🧎 Make your knees feel better while hiking and walking: Best Knee Braces for Hiking
- 🌳Make the downhills stop hurting and hike with more confidence Best Trekking Poles Review
- ⌚ Never get lost on the trail and navigate the wilderness safely with My Review of the Best GPS Watches for Hiking
- ❄️ Go hiking on uneven terrain safely: The Best Hiking Boots with Ankle Support
- 🥾 Don’t get lost in the backcountry during a big hike: My Review of the BEST PLB – Personal Locator Beacons
My Guides to Bucketlist Hikes in Europe
(That I’ve personally done and loved.)
If you’re an avid hiker or mountaineer, you know that getting diaper rash is a nightmare and good hiking underwear is a must. I hope this list of the best hiking underwear for men help you feel safer to explore.
Author profile: Morgan Fielder is a Doctor of Physical Therapy and passionate hiker who believes in exploring the world on foot with good food. Follow her journey as she shares science-based hiking tips and advocates for sustainable tourism.