Are you looking for the best rucking backpacks for hiking, training and mountaineering? I’ve got you covered with my in-depth review of the top 5 rucking backpacks.
These packs are a versatile and durable option for those who want to carry heavy loads while hiking, camping, or traveling. These backpacks are designed to distribute the weight evenly across your back, making it easier to carry heavy loads for extended periods.
Are Rucking Backpacks Worth it?
Not everyone needs a rucking pack. But they are good for 👎🏻
- 🥾 Mountaineers, Trekkers, Hikers
- 🚴♀️ Multi-sport Athletes
- 🌏 Group Leaders
- 💗 Outdoor Fitness Enthusiasts
This review is targeted at people that want the best rucking backpack to improve their fitness and tolerance to the trail.
Let’s jump in!
Quick Verdict: Best Cheap Rucking Backpack for Hiking and Mountaineering
TOP RATED RUCKING PACKS
Based on my personal experience of trying out various packs, I recommend the HUNTVP Military MOLLE as the best option on the market.
The pack features decent performance for hiking and tactical training at a lower price point.
Crave the Planet is reader-supported. When you click on links to buy products I may receive money to support the work of building Outdoor Travel & Gear Guides. – Thanks, Morgan
Short on Time? Quick Links
Quick Table Best Rucking Backpacks
I’ve listed where to find them on amazon here, but you can also shop at REI and other stores.
to See Prices & Purchase
|⭐️ Why is it good? 🔥|
|Buy ➡️ Mystery Ranch||Overall Best Performance|
|HuntVP Military Molle||Overall Best Price|
|20L FHIOR Tactical||Best Lightweight|
Next Best Packs:
- Qwakay Tactical Backpack
- FHIOR TACTICAL Backpack 40L
- Oakley Urban Ruck Backpack
- 5.11 Tactical Backpack
7 Best Rucking Backpacks
If you’re someone who loves hiking and trekking, then you know the importance of having a reliable and durable backpack. A rucking backpack is probably better than a weighted vest as those who want to carry heavier loads can challenge themselves with more strenuous hikes.
1. HUNTVP Military MOLLE Backpack: Overall Best Cheap Ruck Pack
If you’re looking for a durable and versatile backpack for your outdoor adventures, the HUNTVP Military MOLLE Backpack might be worth considering, especially if you don’t want to break the bank.
- The 900D nylon material provides high abrasion and tear resistance, making it suitable for rugged outdoor use.
- The backpack has a 20L capacity, which is enough to hold an iPad, A4 size books, or magazines.
- The backpack has a Velcro area in front, allowing you to customize it with patches or badges.
- The backpack might be too small for some users, so make sure to check the size before purchasing.
- The straps might be a bit short for larger frames, which could make it uncomfortable to wear for extended periods.
- The water bottle pockets are small, so they might not fit larger bottles.
The HUNTVP Military MOLLE Backpack is a great choice for those who need a compact and sturdy backpack for their outdoor activities. The 900D nylon material ensures that it can withstand rough use and the 20L capacity is enough for most essentials. The Velcro area in front also allows you to personalize the backpack with patches or badges.
The backpack’s small size might be a drawback for some users, so make sure to check the dimensions before purchasing. The straps might also be a bit short for larger frames, which could make it uncomfortable to wear for extended periods. Additionally, the water bottle pockets are small, so they might not fit larger bottles.
2. Mystery Ranch 2 Day Backpack: Best Overall Performance
If you’re looking for the best of the best without being a budget shopper, the Mystery Ranch 2 Day Backpack is worth considering.
- The backpack is designed for urban necessities, making it perfect for travel or everyday carry.
- The signature 3-zip opening allows easy and rapid access to the pack’s main compartment contents.
- The backpack has built-in internal organization, including a padded computer sleeve and two detailed zippered pockets.
- The backpack has a capacity of only 27 liters, which may not be enough for longer trips.
- The backpack is relatively heavy, weighing 1.5 kilograms.
- The backpack is quite expensive compared to other similar backpacks.
The Mystery Ranch 2 Day Backpack is a 27-liter pack loaded with features for travel or everyday carry. It comes equipped with dual water bottle pockets, front compression straps, MOLLE webbing, and an adjustable harness. The backpack is built with the best materials available and the most durable construction methods that exist, ensuring that it will support your mission.
The backpack’s signature 3-zip opening is constructed for easy, rapid access to the pack’s main compartment contents, making it convenient for those who are always on the go. The backpack also has built-in internal organization with a padded computer sleeve, a separate divider for a tablet, and two detailed zippered pockets, making it perfect for everyday urban missions.
Despite its impressive features, the backpack has some downsides. It has a capacity of only 27 liters, which may not be enough for longer trips. Additionally, the backpack is relatively heavy, weighing 1.5 kilograms, which may be a concern for those who prefer lightweight backpacks.
Finally, the backpack is quite expensive compared to other similar backpacks, which may be a deterrent for budget-conscious buyers.
3. Qwakay Tactical Backpack : Best Durable Rucking Gear
If you’re looking for a durable and spacious rucking backpack, the Qwakay Tactical Backpack might be the right choice for you.
- With a 45L capacity, this backpack is perfect for a 3-day trip or as a bug out bag.
- The backpack has multiple compartments, including a dedicated laptop compartment, making it easy to organize your gear.
- The molle system allows you to attach additional pouches or gear to the backpack.
- The backpack is not intended for use by children 12 and under.
- The backpack might not be the best choice for air travel.
- Some users might find the backpack too heavy when fully loaded.
The Qwakay Tactical Backpack is made from 900D polyester material, which makes it durable and water-resistant. The backpack is double-stitched and reinforced at all stress points, ensuring that it can withstand heavy use. The backpack has padded shoulder straps and a mesh backing for comfort and ventilation during travel.
The backpack has a hidden back pocket for frequently-used items, and it opens flat to 180 degrees for easy packing and unpacking. The backpack has two front pockets for small items, two large compartments with built-in zippered pockets and mesh pockets for big and important supplies, and a dedicated laptop compartment (17”).
The molle system of the backpack is designed for convenient attachment of additional Molle tactical pouches or more gears. The backpack has molle attachment straps on the front, both sides, bottom, and shoulder straps. The shoulder straps have two D-rings to hang things, and the straps at the bottom can be used to hold a tent or sleeping pad or other outdoor gear.
4. FHIOR TACTICAL Backpack 40L : Best Heavy Duty Backpack
If you’re a heavyweight and want a durable and versatile backpack for your outdoor activities, the FHIOR TACTICAL Backpack 40L might be worth considering.
- The backpack is designed to be durable and versatile, making it suitable for various outdoor activities.
- The Molle webbing system allows you to attach different types of gear, including pouches, flashlights, and tactical medical kits.
- The hydration system compartment works great for a hydration bladder, so you can quench your thirst whenever you roam.
- The design of the main compartment zipper might not be ideal for daily use, as it opens almost all the way and requires laying the bag down.
- The bag might be too large for some users, as it has a capacity of 40 liters.
- The backpack doesn’t come with a hydration bladder.
The FHIOR TACTICAL Backpack 40L is a great option for those who need a durable and versatile backpack for their outdoor activities. The backpack is designed to be tough and versatile, making it suitable for various environments. The Molle webbing system allows you to attach different types of gear, including pouches, flashlights, and tactical medical kits, making it a perfect direct action backpack, army assault backpack for hunting, camping, hiking, tactical, and outdoors.
The backpack has a hydration system compartment that works great for a hydration bladder, so you can quench your thirst whenever you roam. However, the backpack doesn’t come with a hydration bladder, so you’ll need to purchase it separately. The backpack is compact and suitable for both men and women, making it perfect for outdoor activities, crossfit, survival in the wild, camping, hiking, trekking, hunting, military exercises, and travel.
The design of the main compartment zipper might not be ideal for daily use, as it opens almost all the way and requires laying the bag down. Additionally, the bag might be too large for some users, as it has a capacity of 40 liters.
5. Oakley Urban Ruck Backpack : Best Style Backpack
Another massive size for serious gains, the Oakley Urban Ruck Backpack is a great option.
- The backpack is made of durable, water-resistant ripstop fabric that resists tears, abrasions, and scuffs.
- The comfortable mesh shoulder straps distribute the load evenly, making it easy to carry heavy loads all day without pain.
- The backpack features dedicated interior pockets for all your necessities, including a padded laptop sleeve, an innovative shoe pocket, and an exterior water bottle pocket.
- The backpack may be too large for some people’s needs.
- The zipper could be larger for easier access to the main compartment.
- The backpack lacks organization options, with just open pouches.
The Oakley Urban Ruck Backpack is perfect for those who need to carry a lot of gear. Its durable ripstop fabric ensures that it can withstand tough expeditions, while its comfortable mesh shoulder straps make it easy on your shoulders. The backpack’s ample storage space and dedicated pockets make it easy to keep everything organized.
The backpack’s shoe pocket is a unique feature that separates footwear from the rest of your gear, keeping everything clean and organized. The backpack’s exterior water bottle pocket is also a great feature, making it easy to stay hydrated on the go.
6. FHIOR TACTICAL Backpack 20L : Best Affordable Rucking Backpack
Buy this one for a durable, yet small rucking backpack. The FHIOR TACTICAL Backpack 20L might be a great option for you.
- The Molle Webbing System creates numerous attachment points for different types of gear.
- The hydration compartment allows you to quench your thirst whenever you roam with a hydration bladder pocket.
- The compact design makes it easy to organize your outdoor activities for maximum performance, comfort, safety, and convenience.
- The main zipper likes to open up with bulk added to the main pocket.
- The zippers may not be well-constructed.
- There could be more places to stash small items.
This backpack is perfect for outdoor activities, crossfit, survival in the wild, camping, hiking, trekking, hunting, military exercises, and travel. It’s suitable as a daypack for men and women, laptop backpack, and police backpack.
The FHIOR TACTICAL Backpack 20L is designed in Scotland where rugged mountains and dense forests meet the hard-edged urban city. It’s constructed and checked to perform to the highest standards, so you can buy with confidence.
However, the manufacturer has you covered for 12 months should the product let you down due to manufacturer defects.
7. 5.11 Tactical Backpack: Best Adventure Pack
If you’re looking for a durable, tactical backpack for your outdoor adventures, the 5.11 Tactical Backpack is a great option.
- The 5.11 Tactical Backpack is made from durable 1050D nylon and is water-resistant.
- It features 16 individual inner and outer compartments, including a padded laptop compartment and a CCW Conceal Carry Weapon compartment.
- The backpack is Molle compatible and features a wrap-around molle/5.11 slick stick web platform.
- The backpack is on the heavier side, weighing in at 2.6 pounds.
- The backpack’s design may not be suitable for everyday use.
- The backpack is relatively expensive compared to other options on the market.
The 5.11 Tactical Backpack is a great choice for those who need a durable and versatile backpack for outdoor activities. The backpack’s numerous compartments and Molle compatibility make it ideal for military, patrol, and first responder use. However, the backpack’s weight and design may not be suitable for everyday use.
When shopping for a rucking backpack, there are several key factors to consider to ensure you get the best product for your needs.
When looking for the best rucking backpack, there are a few key factors to consider.
➡️ The first is size – you want a backpack that is large enough to carry all of your gear but not so large that it becomes cumbersome.
➡️The second is durability – you want a backpack that is made from high-quality materials and can withstand the wear and tear of regular use.
➡️ Finally, you want a backpack that is comfortable to wear – look for features like padded straps and a breathable back panel.
After researching and testing various rucking backpacks, we have identified the top options on the market. Whether you’re a serious hiker training to avoid plantar fasciitis, foot pain or just looking for an outdoor workout, these backpacks will meet your needs and exceed your expectations.
Also think about why you ruck?
You will also like my article reviewing the best two way radios for hiking.
Final Verdict: Best Performance Overall
Based on my personal experience of trying out various packs, I recommend the Mystery Ranch 2 Day Backpack as the best option for serious ruckers.
The pack features overall the best performance for hiking, mountaineering, biking, hunting and Nature walks to build strength and endurance.
Here are the top 4 things to keep in mind:
The first thing to consider when choosing a rucking backpack is its capacity. The size you need will depend on what you plan to carry in it. If you’re just using it for day trips, a smaller backpack with a capacity of 20-30 liters should suffice. However, if you plan to use it for longer trips or to carry heavier items, you’ll want a larger backpack with a capacity of 50-80 liters.
The material of the backpack is another important factor to consider. Look for a backpack made of durable materials that can withstand wear and tear. Nylon and polyester are popular choices, but make sure the material is also water-resistant or waterproof to protect your gear in case of rain.
A rucking backpack should be comfortable to wear, especially if you plan to use it for long periods. Look for backpacks with padded shoulder straps, a padded back panel, and a sternum strap to distribute the weight evenly and reduce strain on your back and shoulders.
Lastly, consider the features that the backpack offers. Look for backpacks with multiple compartments and pockets for organization, as well as MOLLE webbing for attaching additional gear. Some backpacks also have hydration bladder compatibility, which is a great feature for staying hydrated on long hikes.
⌚ Explore more with confidence with our top-rated hiking and navigational watch!
If you need a reliable GPS watch for your trip, then my personal recommendation is to choose Garmin Fenix 7X Sapphire Watch, an award winning navigation watch with advanced features like GPS tracking, altimeter and long battery life. Plus with durable and waterproof design, you can take on any weather.Buy a watch HERE
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the key features to look for in a rucking backpack?
When selecting a rucking backpack, you’ll want to look for a few key features. First, the backpack should be durable and able to withstand heavy loads. Look for backpacks made from high-quality materials such as nylon or polyester.
Additionally, the backpack should have a comfortable and adjustable harness system to distribute the weight evenly across your shoulders and back. Finally, look for a backpack with multiple compartments and pockets to organize your gear.
How much weight can a rucking backpack typically hold?
The weight capacity of a rucking backpack can vary depending on the specific model. However, most rucking backpacks can hold anywhere from 30 to 60 pounds of weight.
What is the difference between a rucking backpack and a weighted vest?
A rucking backpack is a backpack designed specifically for carrying weight while walking or hiking. A weighted vest, on the other hand, is a vest that you wear on your body to add resistance to your workouts. While both can be used to increase the intensity of your workouts, they are designed for different purposes.
Can any backpack be used for rucking or do I need a special one?
While any backpack can technically be used for rucking, it’s recommended to use a backpack specifically designed for rucking. Rucking backpacks are designed to distribute weight evenly and comfortably across your body, making them a better choice than a standard backpack.
What are some of the best rucking backpacks available on Amazon?
Is the Kelty Redwing a good choice for rucking?
While the Kelty Redwing is a popular backpack, it may not be the best choice for rucking. The backpack is not specifically designed for rucking and may not distribute weight as evenly or comfortably as a backpack designed for rucking.
My Gear Review Process
At Crave the Planet, I’m all about honest and relatable reviews of outdoor products. As a physical therapist, hut to hut hiker, downhill skier and mom, I’m constantly trying new gear to make my outdoor experiences more comfy and fun but with science in mind.
I’ll be real with you, I’m not an expert in every outdoor activity. But, who is? I’m just a regular person who loves exploring the planet. Perfectionism is my enemy and I hope to help you ditch that vibe too.
My review process involves testing each product in real-life outdoor situations, but if it’s a really horrible day I’ll probably find a hotel in the valley. I’ll let you know what worked for me and what didn’t, so you can make informed decisions about your gear choices.
I don’t do sponsored reviews or take payment for my reviews. All comments are based on my personal experience. Sometimes I’ll test something and then send it back for a refund. Usually there’s a hefty fee. Bummer. So, if you’re looking for a relatable and honest take on outdoor gear, you’re in the right place.
I hope you enjoyed this review of the best rucking backpacks and you’ve got the information you need to get training.
More Hiking Resources
Here’s more awesome gear to empower your journey.
Physical Therapist Curated Gear Guides for Hikers
- 🧎 Make your knees feel better while hiking and walking: Best Knee Braces for Hiking
- 🌳Make the downhills stop hurting and hike with more confidence Best Trekking Poles Review
- ⌚ Never get lost on the trail and navigate the wilderness safely with My Review of the Best GPS Watches for Hiking
- ❄️ Go hiking in the winter or on icy surfaces safely: The Best Microspikes for Hiking
- 💰 Save money by making your SUV a hotel the night before a big hike: My Review of the BEST Air Mattress for Your SUV
Like it? Share it to promote sustainable tourism.
Author profile: Morgan Fielder is a physical therapist and passionate hiker who believes in exploring the world on foot with good food. Follow her journey as she shares science-based hiking tips and advocates for sustainable tourism.